Tips To Book Ferry from Port Blair to Havelock Island The Right Way
Havelock Island is an exotic tropical island and is the most visited in the Andaman Archipelago. It is around 52 km away northeast of Port Blair City and is separated by water. Taking a ferry from Port Blair to Havelock is the only possible way to reach Havelock since there is no road linking Port Blair to Havelock for land transportation.
Facts of Booking Ferry/Cruise from Port Blair:
- Private ferries/cruises operate daily and have scheduled morning and afternoon trips from Haddo Jetty in Port Blair.
- Tourist can make the bookings for morning or afternoon ferry/cruise trip from Port Blair to Havelock as per their flight arrival and hotel stay, if you intend to stay at Havelock Island. Ferry Harbor is about 3-5 km from the Veer Savarkar Airport.
- It is always good to keep at least 2- 3 hours for Ferry from Port Blair to Havelock Island. Since the time for the ferry trip is 12:20 pm, it is advisable to book a ferry for the next day if your flight arrival is in the afternoon. Also, tourists who arrive in the morning hours before 11:00 am can book same day Port Blair to Havelock ticket for afternoon trips.
- One can easily book Andaman Ferry tickets from Port Blair Harbor to travel to other the Andaman Islands as all the ferries can be booked in Port Blair.
- All admission to the island is reserved and made only through the DSS inter Island Port.
Reaching Havelock Island:
Havelock Island is just two hours away by boat and can only be reached by sea. Both government and private ferries run from neighboring islands and unite Havelock to the rest of the world.
- M.V. Makruzz – the most popular private ferry connects Port Blair, Havelock and Neil Island
- Green Ocean – a popular private ferry connects Port Blair with Havelock.
Each ferry from Port Blair to Havelock usually features 3 classes and the prices of all the 3 classes vary as well. The classes vary of basis of seating, comfort and its view of the Sea.
Government-run boats can be said to be the lifeline of Andaman Islands. They connect almost all islands in the Andaman Islands (including the Nicobar group of islands). Ferry from Port Blair to Havelock online booking is strictly prohibited and one can only make a booking from the counter.
There is also Government-run Helicopter for emergencies and inter-island transportation. The preferences are for Medical emergency followed by other emergencies, VIP transportation, Local islanders’ transportation.
P.S. If you are not a citizen of Indi, make sure you are carrying your Restricted Area Permit (RAP) to each of these booking counters. Without this, booking for a ferry from Port Blair to Havelock Island or for that matter will not be allowed.